Wednesday, October 13, 2010

One Week and Counting (Backwards)

Sometimes I envision writing a book about this experience and helping others to do the same thing. Not because I think I will, but because it helps me get through some of what we're dealing with.


So there I am in my wingback leather chair in my study, pipe sticking out of the corner of my mouth, typing away about the moment when, three weeks before we were scheduled to depart, Ecuador experienced a near coup. Tap tap tap. I pause and chuckle to myself as I remember that moment, that feeling like a flaccid, wrinkly balloon which has had the air let out of it. But now, with the past and our experience behind us, what can one do but laugh about the things that prove of no consequence. Tap tap tap. Hah hah! Yes, rich that. Rich.

Rationally I know from my own experiences and the experiences of others that there are times when the bottom feels like it falls out, but if you keep your head about you, the road will rise up to meet you again. Rationally, I know that. But it helps to put on my mental red satin smoking jacket and sit in my imaginary study and pretend I've lived through it and am oh so seasoned now. Tap tap tap.

Actually the near coup was good practice. Now we are one week out from departure and…seemingly regressing in our progress. We are using an attorney in Ecuador who is a friend of a friend. We have had no direct contact or correspondence with him (he doesn't speak English, and I don't want to risk my Spanish on legal matters), and we have had instructions from him only upon asking our friend what's up. So here we are one week out, and we discover, after inquiring again as to the status, that we must go to the nearest Ecuadorian embassy or consulate to provide some documents and actually get our visas. Los Angeles. One week before we're supposed to leave for Ecuador. The whole family.

Tap tap. Tap.

heh heh. tap.

Good times. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment